Thursday, November 10, 2011

iOS 5 Programming

Well, I got Hillegass and Conway's book, iOS Programming 2nd Edition for my birthday in late September.  I was having fun learning how to write applications for the iPhone and iPad. That is, I was having fun until my iPhone 4S showed up and I installed an upgrade to Xcode.

Oops.

The book was published July 2, 2011 and now, just three months later, the coding was broke.  Not totally, but enough that the authors suggested people roll back to Xcode 4.1.  Must be painful to have spent time writing a book and then have the coding environment change just three months later.

I tried lots of different ways of continuing but it was just too painful.  I thought about switching back to Xcode 4.1 and just using my old iPhone 3G (yeah, the 4S was a huge improvement) as a testbed.  But I read more info about iOS 5 and the changes and thought why put myself through learning iOS 4 then learning changes for 5.

I decided to forge ahead and learn iOS 5 from online tutorials but also use the book as a learning guide and update all the applications in it to iOS 5. So that is what I am going to do and will be blogging from time to time as I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment